Classics
Monday, January 17, 2005
 
VIEWING THE LION’S DEN


The old adage “old dogs no longer learn new tricks” may be true, but surely, it applies not to lions, only to dogs, for whoever heard of dogs learning the awesome powers of the Internet?!

In the following pages, eight impressions of people who were touched by the pictures that were sent through e-mail are herein reprinted to show that neither distance nor physical absence matter as far as friendship is concerned; they will tell you that they care. Their links with the lion are:

(1) The first sender is a brother whose links with the writer was his recollection that as a youth his father, who is a member of Quezon City Lodge No. 122, often took him to the socials of the lodge and have therefore rubbed elbows to such illustrious brothers as MW’s Reynold S. Fajardo and Agustin V. Mateo, Daddy Emil Ozaeta and the others.

He is currently an active medical practitioner based in the States and hopes to retire to the country in no more than five years from today.

(2) WB Simplicio Endaya is a past master of Laong Laan Lodge No. 185 who share the same passion as the writer in writing. He is a computer whiz and is responsible for the establishment of the website of the said lodge.

For a very beautiful pictorial of the installation ceremony of Laong Laan Lodge No 185, the reader is encouraged to visit that website through the Glphils Website’s links.

(3) Bro. Aquilino B. Javier, Jr. is a member of Quezon City Lodge No. 122 who has migrated to Chicago, USA way back in the nineteen sixties. He and the writer are members of the Grand Lodge of the Philippines website, and have met only once in their lifetimes.

(4) WB Philip “Bong” Leano is a past master of San Mateo Lodge No. 319, located in San Mateo, Isabela. He and the writer have already met twice, once during a stated meeting at Capitol City Lodge No. 174 and the other at Cauayan, Isabela during a DeMolay affair where the former acted as host.

He and the writer regularly communicate with each other with the former sending his e-mails sometimes in far away places as in Canada.

(5) Bro. Milind Dravid is an Indian fraternal brother raised under the Indian Constitution whom the writer has never met. They have been regularly communicating with each other and share the same passion and love for the Craft.

(6) Iris Ann is the writer’s daughter whom the lion left behind in the metropolis. She communicates with both the lion and the lion tamer almost on a daily basis either by phone or through the Internet.

(7) Jun Tomada is an office associate from way back in the eighties whose friendship has lasted through the years. He is the son of the pugilist Tommy Romulo whose boxing skills has tangled with the boxing immortal Gabriel Flash Elorde way back in the nineteen sixties; and

(8) VW Eugene Sicat, is of course, the Grand Webmaster of the Grand Lodge of the Philippines whom this writer always badger to have the articles posted in the Internet. His mother lodge is in Bukidnon and aches to visit the country with his lovely wife whenever his craving for home is stirred.

1. FROM BRO. DANIEL RAZON OF THE GOOD OLE’ USA (what state, the lion does not know)

February 11

Bro. Jun.

That was a very beautiful and idyllic place to retire. I envy you in the sense that I have 4 years, 10 months and 18 days to go, GOD WILLING. Don't forget your exercise, that kind of scenery will lull you to spend your waking hours in just being passive. A couple of mile's walk everyday is what your cardiovascular fitness would require.

About the liter of Tuba every night is just fine. It will keep the blood flowing in every direction especially to that sensitive organ where it is sorely needed (no pun intended). And don't forget the aspirin too. One tablet a day would markedly decrease the incidence of a heart attack and this is proven by CDC and strongly recommended by the AHA. I place all my patients on that regimen especially with diabetics. There, you got a sound medical advice and follow it.

It is official that the Grand Lodge of Illinois represented by the MW Grand Master Chuck Sullins will be attending the ANCOM. There will be a Third Degree Conferral on April 20 at the GLP. I hope you could time your visit to your children on that date.

Enjoy your retirement.

Fraternally Yours,
Dan Razon


The Lion’s rejoinder (February 11)

Bro. Dan:

Many thanks for that free medical advice. I want you to know that I have not completely relieved myself of physical activity. Aside from periodically weeding out the front lawn, I walk almost daily to and from the market for about fifteen minutes not so much to buy food as our dilapidated six-cubic-feet refrigerator is still in good working condition but more so to insure the efficient motor control of my knees thus enabling them to take my 165-pound frame wherever and whenever the still-stubborn mind desires to go. In addition, we did not allow ourselves the luxury of a maid thus insuring that we do not get into complete lethargy as we had to perform all the household chores ourselves.

I, of course, had to dissuade myself from buying a small banca that cost roughly one thousand pesos which would have enabled me to leisurely paddle on the bay in the afternoons for fear of being taken by the ocean’s current to the open sea. Had this been done, then it would have meant another complete source of joy for me; imagine freely floating on the pristine sea away from the troubles of modern drudgeries and useless toil!!

The Divine Architect willing, we may still meet in the metropolis during your visit to our country this coming May. Although I had already told our kids last Christmas that my next visit will still be on the next Yuletide season, the lion tamer has intimated that on her planned visit this April, she intends to re-install the collar on my neck and compel me to join her again. Imagine, a member of the cat family sporting a dog collar?! Ugh, how demeaning it could be!

But I guess it will make her feel more comfortable to know that I cannot stray around behind her back and thus avoid getting into serious mischief while she is away. I will thus just inform you later when that trip will be, but reasonably, it will be in mid-April .

With my kindest fraternal regards!

Bro. Jun

2. From WB Simplicio Endaya of Laong Laan Lodge No 185

Bro. KJ

Thanks for your e-mail. Kindly visit also our website for the installation of Laong Laan Lodge No. 185. We missed you there.

Ka Ecio

The Lion’s reply.

These are indeed very beautiful pictures of our installation ceremony. My only regret was I missed it completely.

Regards.

Bro. Jun


3. FROM BRO. AQUILINO B. JAVIER, JR of Chicago, USA

February 11

Brod Jun,

My wife and I were shown much of the island of Mactan and the memory
would not leave me. That part of the Philippines is just enchanting. The
pictures you sent just reinforced the thought. Thanks for sharing.

Pong

The Lion’s reply:

Bro. Pong:

Too bad I missed seeing you and our sister during your visit to Cebu City last November. But there was no other choice; the lion tamer had her physical check-up at Tagbilaran at the time you made your visit in the Queen City of the South. It would have meant a grand time talking about the Craft we love so much over a bottle or two of beer. But hope still springs eternal for another meeting.

I’m glad you like the pictures.

With my kindest fraternal regards.

Bro. Jun


4. FROM WB PHILIP LEANO of Isabela

February 11


Ay naku Kuya Jun! Buti ka pa napakasipag mo magsulat samantala ako napakadami ng ideas pero ubod naman ng tamad! Ingat ka lagi, sabi nga ng isang kuyang natin, "Keep on Roaring! hehehe mala-leon ka nga talaga hehehe

Ingat lagi sir!

BONG L. (One of your fans! hehehe)

The Lion’s rejoinder

WB Bong:

Ikaw ha, hindi na maalis yang katam sa katawan mo, isusumbong kita kay Sis., sino na nga ba iyon?! Ay si Sis. Rina pala.

Huwag na huwag mong kalilimutan ang mga DeMolay diyan sa lugar mo. Kailangan nila ang kalinga.

Hanggang sa huling e-mail.

Kuya Jun

5. FROM BRO. MILIND DRAVID of Nagpur, India

February 12

Hello Brother Jun,

Kumusta Ka?????

I received your mail after a very long gap, the pictures are great, I hope you and your family are well.

With Love,
Brother Milind

The Lion’s reply

Bro. Milind:

The long and deafening silence was unfortunate. My dilapidated computer completely conked out last October and my efforts to have it fixed in Cebu City did not prove fruitful. Last December when I and the lion tamer visited our children in the metropolis, I opted to replace it with another second-hand unit which I took with me on my return trip to my den. My son-in-law who assisted in purchasing this unit hopes it can last me a couple of years else I might get into the same trouble again.

The rather long lull incidentally made me forget my writing skills so that no matter how I tried to compose articles upon my return to my den last month, could not manage to write a decent one, and as an alternative, had to resort to pictorials to convey my thoughts. Pictorials, I found out, suit just fine, it does not strain one’s limited command of the King’s language. And with the new CPU, expect me again to be shooting e-mails faster than Billy the Kid or the Green Berets!

And how’s Nachiket’s studies in London??

With my kindest fraternal regards to Rohini, Nivedita and most especially to you!.

Bro. Jun



6. FROM DAUGHTER IRIS ANN of Quezon City

February 11

Dear Nanay,

Sorry I was not able to write you yesterday. My computer overflowed
with a lot of messages. Ito kasing sila Ruthie, ang hilig mag-forward ng message.

We are okay here. Thanks for the pictures. Ang ganda ng house. I
remembered the days when I took my vacation there.

Nag-gain ka nga ng weight Nay,
no, pero okay naman. Di naman masyadong mataba. Bakit nga pala wala si
Tatay? Di siguro marunong kumuha ng picture si Nanay.

We will plan for a vacation there. Hopefully soon.

O sige, will e-mail you again tomorrow.

Love,
Cater

The Lion’s Afterthought

Ito, bahala na ang lion tamer dito. Ka e-mail niya ang kumag. Pero dapat paalalahanan niya ang kaibigan niyang si Ruthie (siguro nasa Thailand) na bawasan naman ang “forwards”, matuto naman sanang mag-english paminsan minsan. (Yong mga forward ng forward lang diyan, please note!)


7. FROM ROMULO M. TOMADA, JR. of San Pedro, Laguna

February 11


Tatay Jun,

Got the 2 sets of mails with pictures of the "lion's den and the lion tamer". At least we have a view of your house before our planned invasion 1st week of March. Thanks for these.

We're doing just fine. Am waiting for the release of my retirement pay which should be this coming Friday, Feb. 14. First order of the day is our trip to Ormoc, Cebu, Ozamis, then Bohol. So we can only formally start our business by March na after the trip. For now, pa-banjing-banjing muna ako. Exercise in the morning and pasyal-pasyal in the afternoon. Taking time out habang 'di pa masyado busy.

We'll see you soon.

Regards, Jun T.

The Lion’s reply

Jun T.

Glad you liked the pictures. For a couple of days I surmised you were already here in the South hence could not post your e-mails.

I’m sure glad to know you will soon get your retirement pay. Manage your funds wisely; your kids, especially the two younger ones, who still have a long trek to hurdle. But I’m confident you and Susan can easily make it, what with your experience on Jopett and Jake.

I sure will be glad to see you in our den first week of March. We can enjoy drinking tuba together. Tam’is kaayo, Dong!

And do extend my regards to Susan and your Dad, Tommy Romulo

Tatay Jun


8. From VW Gene V. Sicat
Grand Webmaster, Grand Lodge of the Philippines

February 13

Kuya Jun
.
Ang ganda ng lugar mo. Puwede ba tayo diyan kung sakaling kami'y mag bakasyon?

Gene V. Sicat
654 Confederation Parkway
Vaughan, Ontario, Canada

The Lion’s Reply

Kuya Gene:

Sabi ng lion tamer, bakit daw ang lugar lang ang nabanggit mo samantalang pirmi naman siya nasa litrato. Nagtampo tuloy sa iyo. Ha, ha!!

Doon sa tanong mo kung pwede ka sakaling magbakasyon kayo, ang sagot ay pwedeng pwede. Pero baka mabaguhan ka. Wala kaming tsekot dito at walang stewardess (yan ang translation ng longkatuts o katulong.) Pero kailangan tulungan mo akong mamalengke at maghugas ng pinggan dahil doon sa brief explanatory text ng mga litrato ipinahiwatig kong hindi ako ander. Pero meron ba namang leon na hindi takot sa lion tamer??

Kindest fraternal regards!

KJ






Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger